The Right Stuff

Much like Seinfeld, this is a Blog about nothing. Yet, it is a blog about life and direction we move. Do we treat each other fairly? Are we moving in the right direction? Do we, indeed, have the right stuff? Links: http://www.exploreblogs.com

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Job Applicants

I own my own company. And, from time to time, we need to hire people. When we do, we often place an advertisement on Monster Board and include language along the following lines:

"Tell us about yourself. Think about why you might want to work here and then tell us. Make sure you provide us with your salary history and requirements."

But, instead of reading my ad and responding accordingly, MOST candidates use their keyword finder to identify my job as one they want. This is a significant change from 5 to 10 years ago. It appears that the high technology of the internet, makes people stupid. Or, maybe it just enables stupid people to apply for jobs in droves!

So, after they match a keyword to a new job posting, the candidates send me their resume to me, along with the other prospective employers that have an appropriate keyword matching the candidate's autofinder. These people almost never get the job. The people who get the job (at least with my firm) are the one's that actually read the ad and take the time to provide a personalized helpful response. One in which they show me that they actually read the ad and understand the basic requirements of the job.

From time to time, I call one of these "blasting" candidates. I see something in their resume that, in spite of their lack of judgment in applying for a job, that they might actually do well at it. When I do call, however, most have no idea what the job is all about, even after I identify the company by name and type of business. What is worse, is that sometimes I leave a message that I would like to conduct a telephone interview. When I do, I am aghast when a candidate calls me back and STILL has no idea about the job. They didn't go back to their e-mail and the ad? Then, why bother calling me back, I ask?

While I am at it, I might as well vent about candidates who state in their initial telephone interviews: "I had no idea your office was so far away from me." Hey Ninny! Didn't you run a Mapuest of the zip code I had in the ad? Why stuff my mailbox when you have no intent to travel the 35 mile commute? It should be YOUR job to screen out jobs you don't want to commute to, not mine. I have no idea if you are moving next week to a town nearby my office.

If you see yourself in the descriptions above, please take note. Save us all time, and increase your chances of getting a job. Send thoughtful responses ONLY to the jobs you really want. In the long run, we will all be better off.

And, if you are an employer, I would love to hear from you!

Dale

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home