The Right Stuff

Much like Seinfeld, this is a Blog about nothing. Yet, it is a blog about life and direction we move. Do we treat each other fairly? Are we moving in the right direction? Do we, indeed, have the right stuff? Links: http://www.exploreblogs.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

45 minutes with my daughter....Priceless

Some of you reading this blog may find that all I do is point out weaknesses and negatives. So, for a change of pace, I thought I might share a more postive experience. All of you fathers will especially enjoy this.

My 23-year old daughter is spending a few months with us at home before she starts graduate school abroad. While here, she is working full-time and going to school at night. (I am so proud of her!)
One of the things so important to her is keeping in good physical shape. So, she joined a gym and goes regularly. Like me, she is somewhat of a nightowl, so she is usually at the gym late...often starting after 10pm. She chides me about being overweight and out of shape (I protest...after all, I do play basketball with the guys a lot). Well, in spite of my protests, I arranged to get a short-term membership at her gym.
Well, the first time she went, she warned me that she would be doing her own thing and not to expect that I would be "with her". So, we got there I went to the walking machine (not a treadmill...something more fancy then that) a few down from her. She looked at me and pointed to the machine next to her. Then we separated for a bit and then she asked me to join her by the free-weights (she usually doesn't go cause she is a bit uncomfortable with all the heavy-weights there). Well, she started showing me how to do lunges and curls and all kinds of exercises. I was fine doing them and I know they are good for me. But, for me, it was that one-on-one time that a father almost never gets with an adult daughter.

I felt like I was in a MasterCard commercial:

Membership to Gym for 2 months ...........................$98;

New running shoes....................................................$84;

45 minutes of time at my daughter's side
three times per week..........................................Priceless!


Dale

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home